16.1 Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE)/Child Exploitation - Introduction
Last updated 12/11/2018
This procedure should be read in conjunction with Section 5 'Contextual Safeguarding'
This multi-agency protocol sets out a clear pathway to safeguard children from child sexual exploitation in Sefton and disrupt, investigate and prosecute offenders. The aim of the protocol is to enable practitioners to:
- Identify children who are at risk of being sexually exploited
- Apply pro-active problem solving to address the risks associated with victims, perpetrators and locations and safeguard children and young people who are, or may be, at risk from sexual exploitation
- Take action against those intent on abusing and exploiting children and young people in this way
- Ensure there are clear referral pathways to access timely and effective interventions with children and families to safeguard those vulnerable to sexual exploitation.
The protocol has been drawn from:
- Working Together to Safeguard Children (DfE 2018)
- Safeguarding Children and Young People from Sexual Exploitation (DCSF, 2009)
- Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Exploitation in Rotherham (Alexis Jay OBE 2014)
- Real Voices Child Sexual Exploitation in Greater Manchester (Ann Coffey MP 2014)
- ‘The Sexual Exploitation of Children: It couldn’t happen here could it?’ (Ofsted 2014)
- Report of Inspection of Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council (Louise Casey 2015)
- Tackling Child Sexual Exploitation (HM Gov 2015)
In March 2015 the Government prioritised the sexual exploitation of children as being a national threat.
 Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Exploitation in Rotherham (1997 – 2013)’ http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/downloads/file/1407/independent_inquiry_cse_in_rotherham
 ‘Real Voices’http://www.gmpcc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/81461-Coffey-Report_v5_WEB-single-pages.pdf
 ‘The Sexual Exploitation of Children: It couldn’t happen here could it?’ http://www.lgcplus.com/Journals/2014/11/18/x/v/z/Ofsted-CSE-report.pdf
 ‘Report of Inspection of Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council’ https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/401125/46966_Report_of_Inspection_of_Rotherham_WEB.pdf
 ‘Tackling Child Sexual Exploitation’ https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/408604/2903652_RotherhamResponse_acc2.pdf